Monday 6 June 2011

Keep Watching The Skies!


Just a few short months before the third adaptation of John W. Campbell's seminal SF horror story hits theatres, let's take a moment to acknowledge the passing of the man who first donned that monster makeup, back in 1951's The Thing From Another World. At an imposing 6' 6" James Arness was an obvious choice for the role of rampaging extraterrestrial, although unlike some of his Famous Monster brethren, he apparently wasn't very fond of the character. Genre fans will also remember him for his role in another iconic creature feature, 1954's atomic cautionary tale Them (right).

4 comments:

  1. Both great films to be sure. I'm really struggling with the idea of yet another remake of The Thing, one of the most iconic, and later, most groundbreaking of SFX films. I know I know, get over it.
    Ok, I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm foolishly holding out hope for the prequel, I'm obviously a masochist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched Lucky McKee's new one The Woman. It's a must see, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I saw it the other day and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete